- 4-methylbenzylidene camphor (4-MBC)
- Benzophenone-3 (oxybenzone)
- 3-benzylidene camphor
- Octyl methoxycinnamate (OMC)
- Vitamin A (retinol)
LOOK FOR sunscreens with:
- Mexoryl SX (ecamsule)
- Tinosorb M
- Tinosorb S
Or, if you want to avoid chemicals altogether, choose a sunscreen with zinc oxide or titanium dioxide.
Here are some of my favorites:
Badger—all of their products get a safety rating of “1” from the EWG, the highest rating the group gives; I like this one best: Badger All Natural Sunscreen, SPF 30, Unscented 2.9 oz (87 ml)
- pros: very high sun protection, very water resistant
- cons: greasy! white!
Aubrey Organics SPF 30 Children’s Unscented Sensitive Skin – 4 oz – Lotion
- pros: great sun protection, not greasy or white
- cons: need to reapply often, especially if you spend a lot of time in the water
Thanks for your question. I wrote a more comprehensive article about safer sunscreens, too.
Disclaimer: The information contained in this blog is for educational and/or informational purposes only, and is not intended to diagnose, treat, or prevent any condition. If you have any concerns about your own health or that of a family member, you should always consult with a healthcare professional.