Leave a comment
Everyone has those things that they can’t live without. These are mine.
- Arnica—I keep this homeopathic remedy on hand at all times for any bump, bruise, bleed, or inadvertent soccer punch to the left leg (my girls more than make up for the relative lack of testosterone in the house).
- Wobenzym—For natural pain relief, I reach for this enzyme blend. I think it’s safer than OTC and prescription pain meds, and it supports the immune system and the body’s innate healing ability.
- Tea tree oil—For cuts, picked scabs (don’t pretend your kids never do it), and anything else you don’t want to become infected. It’s gentle enough to use straight on the skin. And it even inhibits MRSA. True story.
- Probiotics—Because good health starts in the gut, where a large percentage of the immune system is located. For adults looking for extra immune support, I like Integrative Therapeutics Pro-flora Immune Capsules. For kids, chewable HMF Child is a tasty way to get more good bugs.
- Sunscreen—Mineral only, thanks. I like Aubrey Organics SPF 30 Children’s Unscented Sensitive Skin – 4 oz – Lotion
- Aloe vera gel—Because every summer I get a burn. Not my kids. Me. This year I plan on using enough sunscreen at the beach. I know I won’t though, so I’m stocking up.
- Buckwheat honey—My A #1 cure for a persistent cough. Kids may hate it, but it WORKS.
- Vitamin D—Most of us don’t get enough of it, unless we live south of Flagstaff, AZ. For babies, I like Carlson Labs Baby Natural Vitamin D Drops. For adults, I recommend Designs for Health – Emulsi-D3.
- Apis—Another homeopathic remedy to keep on hand for beestings. You may think it’s placebo, but your kids won’t care why they feel better—just that they do.
- Ledum—The homeopathic remedy for puncture wounds, from rusty nails to dog bites. A must for every home apothecary.
- Fish oil—For taking every day, unless you eat a ton of fish. Make sure you get the good stuff (tested for all major contaminants, including PCBs and heavy metals). This is what I take: Vital Nutrients – Ultra Pure Fish Oil. For kids with allergies or eczema, I like Nordic Naturals Arctic Cod Liver Oil.
- “Magic cream” (Heel Traumeel Ointment 100g from Heel Inc.)—Again, it might just be the placebo effect, but give kids something to rub on that hurt and you’re well on you way to being able to hear yourself think over the sobs.